How to Make Paratha. Paratha recipe, Vegan Yummy
Paratha is a popular breakfast bread from Punjab. It is topped with a gob of fresh Makhan, served with Aloo Gobhi and a glass of buttermilk.
Pratha by Pakistan immigrants led to the development of ‘Roti Canai’ in Malaysia, ‘Roti Prata’ in Singapore, and Palata in Myanmar.
I like to add a blend of Dahi and Philadelphia Cheese.
*The following points should be noted:
1. Use a 1Â½” to 2″ wide soft bristle pastry brush to apply Ghee. You may use oil, if that suits your taste. You may also use slightly melted Butter. The moisture in the butter will create more steam.
2. Apply Ghee only to one surface. You don’t need to baste both surfaces within a layer.
- Atta Whole-grain wheat flour (1 Pound): 3Â½ Cups.
- Â Salt: 1 teaspoon.
- Ghee: 2 Tablespoon.
- Substitute: Vegetable shortening.
- Water: 1Â¼ Cup.
- Melted Ghee for brushing layers, and frying.
- Atta for dusting to roll out dough.
*Step 1 Making Dough.
1. Sift Atta and Salt.
2. Cut-in Ghee. Mix well till it all resembles like crumbles.
3. Add water little bit at a time and knead to make dough.
4. Gather dough into a ball. Cover it with damp kitchen towel or a plastic film wrap. Let it rest about one hour at room temperature.
6. Divide dough into 8 parts. Roll each part into a ball. Each dough ball will make one Paratha.
*Step 2 Rolling Paratha.
Roll out dough ball into a 6″ round disc about the thickness of two Nickels (5Ã§ coins).
*Step 3 Frying Paratha.
Heat the griddle (Tawa). Put a test bread about the thickness of a Dime (10Â¢ coin) on the Tawa. If the bread sticks to griddle, you need to increase heat. If the bread gets brown spots too quick, it is too hot. It should develop brown spots on the underside in about 30 seconds. Now the Tawa is ready. The Paratha is cooked in four steps
1. Cook the rolled out Paratha over griddle for about 45 seconds to 1 minute. Lift the corner of the Pratha with Turner. The underside should have a few brown spots.
2. Turn it over and cook another 45 seconds to 1 minute. Baste the top (cooked surface) with Ghee.
3. Turn it over, cook the basted surface another 45 seconds to 1 minute. Baste the top (cooked surface) with Ghee.
4. Turn it over, cook the newly basted surface another 45 seconds to 1 minute.
Once the dough has been kneaded, it should be gathered in a ball, covered with a damp kitchen towel or a plastic film wrap and allowed to rest for a minimum of 30 minutes at room temperature.