A Hearty Potato Leek Soup Recipe, Homemade Potato Soup
- 60ml (1/4 cup) olive oil.
- 1 brown onion, halved, chopped.
- 1 garlic clove, crushed.
- 4 medium (about 700g) peeled Desiree, pink eye or Pontiac potatoes, cut into 2cm cubes.
- 2 leeks, pale section only, washed, dried, thinly sliced
- 1.25L (5 cups) vegetable stock.
- 3 thick slices day-old white bread, crusts removed, cut into. 2cm cubes.
- 125ml (1/2 cup) thickened cream.
- Pinch of salt.
- 2 tbs finely chopped fresh chives.
Â Â Â Â Â Â Method:
- Heat 1 tbs of the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until the onion softens. Add the potato and leek and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until leek softens.
- Â Add the stock and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium and gently boil, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until potato is soft. Remove from heat and set aside for 10 minutes to cool.
- Â Meanwhile, preheat oven to 180Â°C. Place bread in a roasting pan. Drizzle with remaining oil and toss until bread is evenly coated. Toast in preheated oven, shaking pan occasionally, for 10 minutes or until crisp. Remove croutons from oven and set aside.
- Transfer one-third of the potato mixture to the jug of a blender and blend until smooth. Transfer to a clean saucepan. Repeat in 2 more batches with the remaining potato mixture.
- Place the soup over medium heat. Add the cream and stir to combine. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until hot. Taste and season with salt.
- Ladle the soup among serving bowls. Sprinkle with chives and top with croutons. Serve immediately.
Â Â Note:
****This soup will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.