Our food ranking system qualified potatoes as a good source of vitamin B6, vitamin C, copper, potassium, manganese, and dietary fiber.
Potatoes also contain a variety of phytonutrients that have antioxidant activity. Among these important health-promoting compounds are carotenoids, flavonoids, and caffeic acid, as well as unique tuber storage proteins, such as patatin, which exhibit activity against free radicals.
Most people eat potatoes in the form of greasy French fries or potato chips, and even baked potatoes are typically loaded down with fats such as butter, sour cream, melted cheese and bacon bits. Such treatment can make even baked potatoes a potential contributor to a heart attack. But take away the extra fat and deep frying, and a baked potato is an exceptionally healthful low calorie, high fiber food that offers significant protection against cardiovascular disease and cancer.
Vitamin B6 is also necessary for the breakdown of glycogen, the form in which sugar is stored in our muscle cells and liver, so this vitamin is a key player in athletic performance and endurance.
Potatoes are a good source of vitamin C, vitamin B6, copper, potassium, manganese, and dietary fiber.
11 Amazing Uses of Potato :
- Wash your face daily with potato juice ( potato can be ground with water) which prevents wrinkles on face and make your face glow.
- Take a raw sliced potato and make it as a paste by mixing water. Apply the paste on minor skin burns to relieve pain.
- Take a half sliced potato, and rub it on your temples to get relief from headache.
- Place two round slices on your eyes to reduce the tiredness of your eyes.
- Potato can remove glue from hands. Use Potato to wash hands when you find it hard to remove the stickiness on hands after handling some sticky vegetables like pumpkin.
- Rub a raw potato on your old, dirty shoes before polishing them. They should come out nice and shiny.
- Potato prevents the action of acids in our stomach that disturb our sleep. Take a boiled and mashed potato with milk before sleeping to have a peaceful sleep.
- If you found excess salt in curry or soup, toss some large sliced potatoes into the curry pot or soup bowl, still on the stove. In about 5 to 10 minutes the potato slices absorb the excess salt. Then remove them from the pot or bowl.
- Rubbing a potato on the glasses can prevent them from fogging up in the early morning.
- A potato can provide the right medium for making your own stamp for decorating envelopes and holiday cards. Cut a potato in half widthwise. Carve a design on one half. Then start stamping as you would with a wooden version.
- If the worms crawl around the roots of plants, place a sliced raw potato around the base of the plant. The worms crawl up to eat it, you can grab them out.
Take two small potatoes, peel them and grate them. Place it in the center of an unbleached cotton cloth.
Leave the cloth open and add three drops of lemon juice.
Then add a few honey drops, close the cloth and hold the corners between your fingers, rub the cloth all over your face. Leave this juice on your skin for 15-20 minutes before rinsing it off.
Note: Repeat it twice a week in order to succeed in whitening your skin.
Homemade Wrinkle Treatment and Face Lift Facials:
Sweet potatoes can also brighten your skin and add a natural glow to it. Take one medium size potato, grate it and strain the juice out of it.
First cleanse your face then apply the juice, leave it for 10-15 minutes and wash off.
Your skin will be brighter and healthier, try it out for a quick result.
Last but not least it has acne treating effect, due to the acid in its composition; dead cells are easily eliminated from the surface of our skin.
The vitamin C and alkaline can make your skin get rid of bacteria and stop infections from spreading.